Tuesday, April 21, 2009

WORK THE PLAN!!

Exercise #1: My first step is still the same as before which is to continue to search for GRE prep courses. I did make some kind of progress this week by purchasing some study guide materials and facing the fact that I may be self studying for the examination or finding a partner to study with which will be a better idea. My psychology adviser exactly suggested that I self study for the test. I need to have a little more confidence in myself and give it a try.......WISH ME LUCK!!!


Exercise #2: This Sunday a had another buddy meeting with my sister Nakita Perdue!! I told her I was finally going to give self study for the exam......she said she was very proud of me! I explained how I had a meeting with the volunteer coordinator at Inspiration Cafe and I could possible be volunteering for them in the near future. She suggested that I look into more local agency to seek volunteer opportunities. I also explained the tasks I will be looking forward to completing next week which will be to contact the founder of Inspiration Cafe. I would love for her to share her experience in starting the agency and how she feels about the agency turned into a corporation.

Exericise #3: During the Sunday Night Planning Meeting I decided to continue during the steps in my flow chart and hopefully find a study group for the summer to prepare for the GRE exam. Looking for another job is definitely on the to do lists. I am looking forward to making progess on my flow chart. I will also continue contacting individuals that started their own agency.


ROLE MODEL:
Last Friday I had a meeting with the volunteer coordinator of Inspiration Cafe. Just for a little background information Inspiration Cafe was established 1989. The services they provide are supportive, housing assistance, and employment opportunities. Their services are mostly geared to homeless people or people that hace low income status. The famous or primary services is feeding the homeless. Instead of a soup line like most shelter they serve their participants as if it was a restuarant. They get to order from menus, have waiters, and engage in friendly conversations. The person I met with was Katriana Barr, unfornately she is not the founder but Ms. Barr gave me her contact inforamtion. So besides giving me the history and purpose of the agency which is now a corporation she answered all my questions and promise to notify me when an open position is available. I look forward to contacting the founder of the corporation and the current director. WISH ME LUCK!!

1 comment: